We are "unplugging" ourselves for the next 4 weeks!
The details:
Who: Nathan and I, along with the rest of our class here at the mtc and also some of the staff members.
What: A "Webfast"--basically, we will not be connected to technology during this time. No texting, emailing, facebook, blogs, online anything, tv, movies, etc. We will be able to talk on our cell phones, so feel free to call us!!
When: This Monday, Sept 9 through Friday, Oct. 4.
Why?? There are many reasons. Basically, it is going hand in hand with our Worldview Analysis class. We have really been looking deep into our Western worldview and realizing just how much technology has shaped our worldviews without us even noticing. We have also been faced with the sober reality that missionaries on the mission field are struggling with this. With wanting to be on facebook, or other types of social media, etc...because it is comfortable, a way to escape hard life and culture stress and a way to keep connecting with the Western world. Now, we know that technology on the mission field is not bad at all! In fact, it is a huge blessing! But, going along with that, we will need to be self-controlled in this area, and have a very healthy balance. Also, the staff here at mtc wants us to focus more on face to face relationships--realizing that on the mission field, this will be TOTALLY and completely necessary. Texting and messaging on facebook can cause us to be very comfortable with "virtual communication" because of access, speed, etc. On the mission field this will not be an option with our tribal people!!
I am personally very excited for this Webfast. While I love connecting with you guys through this blog or facebook or whatever, it is also so tempting to spend too much time doing that. An innocent check on facebook for messages can easily turn into 30 minutes of mindless scrolling through newsfeeds! It can be such a time-waster, and I am excited for a month of not even having that option. I know it will stretch us, but I think at the same time the Lord will use it to really grow us. During this 4 week period, we are also going to do a study of Philippians along with the rest of our class, and discuss it with our small groups. I think these 4 weeks will be very good for me!
So anyway, beginning on Monday morning...if you need to talk to us, just call us! We would love that. We will also be using our NTM email for mtc business, so you can feel free to contact us on that if you need to! nathan_mueller@ntm.org and rachel_mueller@ntm.org.
Blessings to you all!
3 comments:
What? No texting? No emails? No blogging? NOOOOOOOO!!!
This will be a stretch for me too...not hearing from you. BUt i totally get it and understand. I can see how not being connected could be a real struggle on the field. Thanks for saying that we can call...i'll take you up on that:)
talk to you soon,
mom m
Just as Terri will miss the texting, blogs, emailing, so will I...but it will be great hearing from you after it is over on how it went, what you learned, etc...
love you guys
mom
According to your webfast, you should not read this reply for four weeks. So i just will say nothing because it will be an outdated reply anyway. Hope it goes well.
Post a Comment