1 Peter 4:12-13: Dear friends, don't be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you. Instead, be very glad--for these trials make you partners with Christ in his suffering.
Like our teacher in class said: CENTRAL to a biblical worldview is suffering. We live in a fallen world! And maturity in Christ comes through suffering--not by circumventing it.
We really should never be surprised when we suffer, or when we see suffering in the world. This world is not heaven! Although we do have that amazing hope, we must wait, because this world is not a playground--it is a war zone!
Phil. 1:29: "For you have been given not only the privilege of trusting in Christ, but also the privilege of suffering for Him."
It is so easy to read this stuff and agree with it in my head, but how will I handle it when I truly do experience suffering? How will I handle it when we have to:
- hug our family and friends goodbye in just a little over a year?
- experience culture shock?
- get bit by poisonous centipedes, or get malaria?
- Or when I have to say goodbye to my husband for weeks as he treks through the jungle checking out tribal locations for us to live in, or builds our jungle house?
- Or when we have to say goodbye to our 18-year old Kaine, leaving him in America--and we fly back to Papua New Guinea?
Who knows what our future will bring. All I know for sure is, it won't be easy, because we live on Planet Earth! Suffering and trials happen.
So, when I think of all of this, I can do one of 2 things:
#1: get very anxious
#2: RENEW MY MIND in God's Word.
I will share just a couple of truths that are so helpful to renew my mind with.
- God loves me--individually! This will never never never change, no matter what my circumstances are! His love for me will always be constant. This past semester I can see in countless ways the ways that God has shown love to me--individually. He has been so good. Which should never be surprising, right?? Psalm 139 is a great passage to study--prepare to be amazed :)
- And Jesus tells me in His Word: "I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. in the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world!" (John 16:33). Not that he will fix my circumstances, or make things all comfortable for me, but that he will give me peace in the midst of suffering.

7 comments:
Oh Rachel,
This is such an important concept. We are never taught to "suffer well". It seems like this should be a part of every child's education. :) Suffering is a very important part of our life journey. We will suffer, each of us in different ways, but isn't it just like our amazing God to be able to turn all of our suffering around for His glory? So thankful for your attitude and willingness!!
Rachel, you are amazing. You and Jill have such a good way with words. I am very humbled by your amazing faith and love. You are so brave. We love you very much and look forward to spending Christmas with you. Love GGMA
This would be an amazing sermon for any Church. It rally does apply to everyone.
Grandpa Jim
Oh wow, this was an awesome post. THANK YOU for sharing!
Love you!
great words, Rach. you should look up the sermons Jeff has been preaching on Job recently - all about suffering well! looking forward to connecting in a couple weeks!
Loved this post, Sis. And love you!!!
wonderful post, Rache!! love you guys:)
gma jan
Post a Comment