We are seriously LOVING getting to know the local people here! As I mentioned before, our base is surrounded by several villages. In our orientation program, we are each expected to get out to the villages and spend lots of time with the people--getting to know them, and learning the culture and language with their help. And although it is WAY out of our comfort zone (getting more comfortable each time though!), it has been going so well. All praise to God for that!
The village that our family has been going to the most is called Susu Banis. Our partners, David and Emily, also spent a lot of time in that village when they went through this same orientation program. We are so thankful to be able to form friendships with the same people who they were friends with! We feel so blessed to have those connections!
Our whole family usually goes to the village twice a week (for about 2-3 hours at a time). The other days, Nathan usually goes by himself (or with another guy in our group) to Susu Banis or another village nearby.
This is the house we hang out at most of the time in Susu Banis. This is the house of Gabinus and his wife, Bernadette. They. are. awesome. We love this couple, and all of their extended family members who flock to the house when we are there :) Haha! When we walk through the village, we can always hear the sounds of kids yelling, "White man! White man!"
Nathan and Gabinus :)
Bernadette holding Daisy...as we walked through the village on one of the first days, Daisy wanted me to hold her, but I told her no, she could walk. So Bernadette scooped her up and I was so proud of Daisy that she let Bernadette carry her through the village! I guess Daisy was probably thankful that she didn't have to walk :) But our kids really do love Bernadette!
Our blonde girls are a main attraction :)
On one of the days of the week that our family goes to Susu Banis, I go to this lady's house. Sophie was Emily's language helper and good friend--now I am so thankful to get to know her too! Sophie and her husband have two little girls, which works out great as I usually bring one or two of my girls!
The whole village is so welcoming to our family. They are so friendly and willing to help us--we are thankful!
Each time we walk to the car to leave the village, we have a crowd of people go with us to see us off!
So many adorable little kiddos!
We are thankful for these relationships. God is providing for us in so many ways!







12 comments:
I would have loved to see your kids eyes the 1st time you went to a village. I bet they were huge. I like the picture of Layla sitting with the kids. She just looks like she has known them her whole life. It's got to be a good feeling how they flock to you and are so friendly.
Grandpa Jim
Love this :)
mom m
WONDERFUL! I love seeing everything you guys are doing!
wow - i love this post and to see all the wonderful people God has put around you. thanks for your updates!
So wish we were there to experience this with you...it is easy to say this as I type from my home with all the conveniences of American culture. Press on toward the prize! We continue to pray for you all. The Donaghys
Thanks for all the updates and pictures! Your family is in our prayers. The Pfisters
So neat to get a glimpse into your world. :) Love you all!
We love to see the pictures and updates. Praying for you all the time! Love the Rauhes
So interesting to see the lifestyle you are in. Thanks for posting. Your family is in our prayers. Paul and Beth
This is so interesting -- thanks for sharing!
I would love to know more about WHY these village people are so friendly, welcoming and helpful to you. Is it because they've gotten to know so many New Tribe's Missionaries over the years and have had solid history? Or is this part of their culture?
Maybe for a blog post topic down the road :) no rush!
Sarah, great question! And yes, maybe I will post about that because others are probably wondering too! Thanks friend--love you! :)
Greetings in Christ!I so enjoyed reading your updates. Your love for the people that you are meeting is so evident! Are any of the people in the village you are visiting believers? Prayers for you as you step out of your comfort zone. We love to hear about the blessings and look forward to your next post about the challenges. 2 Cor 1:5 Jenna
Post a Comment